April 6, 2009

ANOTHER VIRGINIAN IN RHODE ISLAND

Saturday, while Steve was out in CT I went to this (pretty) new shopping center in Smithfield, RI. My goal was to run in GAP to pick up a few of my body mist’s (Dream, Dream More, Heaven & Just Petals) since I am running low on them. I walked into the GAP BODY side & started looking around. A dark haired women in her 40s asked me if I needed help but I turned her down since I pretty much knew what I was looking for. When I couldn’t find my Just Petals I asked her if she had any in the back. She was a bit cold at first stating that GAP doesn’t’ make that name of body mist. Politely, I told her that I swear they do since I have one at home…After chatting a bit & looking at the other bottles she asked me where I got the one I was looking for & how long ago…I laughed & said well, it was probably about a year back in Virginia. She laughed & said oh really? I am from Virginia actually. As soon as she told me that a huge smile approached my face. No way!!! What part? Thinking she would say somewhere far from NOVA….Reston, VA she said…I about died! Reston! I’m from Herndon!!! The lady tells me she went to Herndon HS back in the day & I shouted back, I went to Chantilly! I was standing there in GAP BODY chatting w/ this lady who started to warm up quite a bit since we realized we had something very big in common. It was as if we were both competing with each other by asking millions of questions all at once…She ended up telling me that she moved up North 12 years ago & has been married for 10. Her hubby was the reason for her move…funny I told her, we have the same story. She said she has 2 kids & misses home every day…..Then she proceeded to tell me how much she hates it up here since its certainly no Fairfax County……HA…but then she reassured me a bit when she noticed my smile started to disappear…It’s not the area she said, its just that its different…everything is different…obviously I would leave if I was that unhappy but the love for my husband & family keeps me here. Right about that time, my eyes fill w/ tears…I understood what she was saying & I understood the sacrifices she made for love. After she rang me up & walked me to the door she introduced herself & said her name was Sara. She told me that if I ever felt homesick or just wanted to chat w/ someone from the “neighborhood” to please stop by & do so…. I think I just might.

Oh & by the way…since GAP's Just Petals isn’t offered up here in Rhode Island I went w/ So Pink...So far…I think it’s yummy.

1 comment:

Heidi Youngsma said...

This story brought tears to my eyes!