May 12, 2010

I'LL CHERISH IT FOREVER

It's no surprise that I'm a HUGE fan of antiques or anything retro, ESPECIALLY if they are from within my family. THIS vintage rotary phone was my Grandparents. (Betsy & Fred-yes) :)...Ever since we started to decorate the kitchen I tried to think of items that I could incorporate that meant a lot to me or reminded me of my past or my family's. This phone brings back so many memories. It used to sit in my Grandfather's den (aka office) in Arlington, VA. The house my mom (Linda) grew up in. I remember as a lil kid always wanting to use the phone bc I thought "dialing" it was so much fun. It was a "treat" to call someone whenever I visited alone, with my sister or with my parents. I can picture the den & where it would sit on my Grandfather's desk. Right on the left side. I have it clearly stamped in my mind. Anyway, I called up my Grandparents recently and asked if they still had it. Luckily they did! My grandmother searched for it in their attic & found it just for me! They gave it to my parents a few weeks ago, who then gave it me the other weekend when we were home for my friend Tiffany's wedding. Right now it's sitting on our dining room table ready to be dusted off & displayed. I can't wait to tell this story to those who are interested when they see it. I wanted to share this with all of you bc I know there are people out there that always wonder what the story is behind a certain antique/vintage/retro item. It's always neat to hear about who used it & when...Pretty cool huh? I certainly think so. :)....Thank you again Grandmother & Granddaddy! I'll cherish it forever! As well as the other items you gave us as well. I love you both!!! AND again...
GRANDADDY: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :) :) :)
.

2 comments:

Matthew, Eve, Noah, Noelle, and Brooke said...

so cool! Love that the phone is just your style and has so much family history and meaning! Can't wait to see it all polished up and in your kitchen!

Redhead in Heels said...

Love it!! As Natalie may have mentioned, I bought an old, old typewriter, which I love. It doesn't have the history of your phone, but I love it anyway. I want to start a collection! And I always love seeing your decorating and shopping ideas. you should start a separate blog with shopping and decorating tips!