October 20, 2009

BOO

Steve & I adopted a 5 month old white kitten last night from Whiskers Animal Shelter (http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/whiskers.html) in Plainfield, CT. He had all of his shots/tests done already & recently just got fixed. I had found him online about a week or so ago. We paid $60 for the adoption. All we have to do (if need be…) is de-claw him now. Online he was a tiny little thing since the photo was taken a few months back. Sooo to my surprise (& yours I'm sure) when we arrived at the shelter he looked almost full grown! HA….To be honest I had my doubts at first bc of his size & was a lil disappointed since I had my heart set on a “kitten-kitten”. But he stole our hearts pretty much right away! He was sooooooo loveable, talkative & super snuggly right off the bat. I felt awful that I was thinking about leaving without him while eyeing a 2 week old kitten that looked almost identical to Molly. Of course this made me tear up right away & second guess if I was moving too fast with this whole thing. But after thinking a bit & talking to Steve, we ended up making our decision just about 30 mins later. The next thing you know we are filling out papers, writing a check & being handed over a cardboard carrier to take our new “kitten” home. As far as his name goes-Boo is what we came up with! :) Get it? We got him in October, the month of Halloween and he looks just like a ghost. Super clever, I know. He seemed to loooooooooove his new home once we arrived. He was very adventurous the second he stepped foot in the door! Luckily he found his food/water bowl & liter box very fast & seemed very well adjusted after just an hour or so. For the most part he even got along w/ Kippy! Don’t get me wrong he is VERY curious about Kippy & we had to keep an eye on how close the 2 of them got but we think it will work out. In the mean time we are putting Kippy’s cage in the bathroom @ night & during the day just in case. As far as that tiny 2 week old kitten goes…we may just adopt him as well as soon as he starts eating on his own…..I’ll keep you posted on that! I did tell Steve last night that I am putting my foot down after 2 cats though. I don’t want to end up being an “old cat lady” one day! Our next adoptee will DEF be a puppy in the (near….) future….I will send out & post photos of Boo this week, I promise! Can’t wait for all of you to meet him!

2 comments:

Redhead in Heels said...

Yay!!! So happy you adopted a shelter kitty, but I have to ask you to please not declaw. Just make sure they have a good scratching post and know to use it from the very beginning and you shouldn't have a problem. Mine leave my furniture alone.

AND UM HELLO, PICTURES?????

Meg Wooldridge said...

Shannon I was just surfing through your blog and had to comment on your post! I agree with your other friend. That's awesome you adopted a shelter cat but please don't declaw him. It's actually incredibly painful for cats, as their nails aren't like toenails...they are actually attached to the bone! Most rescue groups, including the SPCA, prohibit declawing and most countries have made it illegal. So please do your research before you decide! Thanks :) -Meg