November 6, 2009

CALL ME...HUG ME...LOVE ME

I’ve been a bit down in the dumps lately… I’m really sad that our engagement, the wedding planning, wedding day & honeymoon is all over. I’ve heard a bride can become a lil depressed after all is said and done. I guess I’m experiencing a lil bit of those sad feelings. I feel as if our time is over. EVEN THOUGH it’s really the beginning… it’s hard to explain. I’m sure some of you girls out there understand what I am going through. It’s the strangest feeling; you are on such a “high” for several months & then BAM you come down from it. OBVIOUSLY I am SO happy to be married to Steve & am so excited to spend the rest of my life with him as his wife, but there is still a part of me that is sad. I do know that the next step to look forward to in our future is having babies. This makes me smile. :) Steve knows that….but what he might not know is that even though I say I’m ready, I’m not entirely. Having a baby sounds very exciting, especially since I feel as if it will fill the empty void that I have been feeling…..but it’s a lot of work. It’s scary! And it’s a lot of money. Not to mention the D-word….daycare. My parents have always told me that you can never be ready or financially ready. You just manage when the time comes for a lil one to come along. You work it out. Like Steve, we would like to be settled in our marriage, in our house & hopefully have a few more pay raises under our belts……..but still…..i cannot wait to have kids …….just when the time is right…………….I don’t know about you, but when I’m sad about something I start thinking about other sad things. I still really miss my friends & family at home-I wish I could go home every other weekend, spend ½ the time w/ steve’s friends & family & the other ½ with mine, that would be ideal, in a perfect world-that didn’t cost anything……. I’m so frustrated that I still don’t know my way around yet. I have to ask steve over & over how to get somewhere, or what exit to take. I know it’s so frustrating for him. I am so scared to go out on my own at times so I ask him to come with me, for example-when running errands. I seem to know the area around work more then I do where we live. I think one of the reasons I gets scared is bc since we live a bit in the country-my cell phone & my Garmin navigator don’t always work, I worry about getting lost, getting a flat tire, or hitting a deer, especially at night-or even running my car off the road in the snow. I don’t think Steve will ever understand…every place he lived he chose to do so-on his own. I never wanted to move away from home, until I found out Steve found a good job up here that was just too good to pass up….. Having Steve by my side makes me feel safe. I used to be so independent in VA-especially the year before I moved since I was living on my own. I knew the in's & out's of everything. I feel like I have become less independent. I guess that’s what you get for living in the same place for 27 years… I think I have a few more years to start to becoming comfortable, maybe then I will stop 2nd guessing myself when I am out on my own as well………………Now that the clocks have changed- winter is right around the corner. It’s so dark & cold when I leave the office. Steve found this amazing photography club for me to go to 2 Thursday nights every month. I really want to go but we have so much going on, on top of that, again I am scared to go alone. I am also scared of my safety. I know a girl can never be too careful. An awful event from a friend’s past has haunted me more & more recently. Thank god the BASTARD was finally charged with being guilty after what he did to her. But it’s been a long road…..for all of us. The incident seems to be never ending; I was informed by my friend recently that I might have to possibly testify in court. I would have in a heartbeat for her since I was there that night and knew most of the details…before, during & after. But *luckily* the court didn't need me-I had been so sick to my stomach about going….but it’s been on my mind, as it has for the past several years. But lately it’s been on my mind more, it only makes me more scared to go anywhere at night alone. Another reason why (besides being so busy from now until the Holidays) I will probably push this photography club out a bit since they meet at night….…Now onto my job. I really like what I do in general but it’s not my dream job & I def don’t get paid as much as I would like to. Lately I’ve been super swamped, staying busy is great but it’s been tough….it’s wearing me out a bit-Im so tired when I get home-and last night-a bit moody…..hopefully things will settle down in the next few weeks. I’m still struggling to find friends here. It’s very hard to do that where I sit in the building, I'm almost secluded from the other departments. It’s a fun atmosphere where my cube is but it’s still hard to have a conversation with the employees in the room or learn there names-still, after almost 1.5 years……I still just do my job, eat lunch w/ my friend/co-worker Stephanie & go home. I mean I guess that’s what you are supposed to do but it’s always nice to have a few friends to talk to or hang out w/ at work or outside of work you know? I know you know what I mean…….On top of it all , I cant seem to get away from something-no matter what’s said or done, something or someone always brings me back to it, I cannot tell you how much I hate it, it changed me, it made me become someone I never wanted to be, I just want it to go away once and for all & I want to go back to my old self…………..So yah…. As you can see, as I said, I've been down in the dumps lately, maybe they aren’t big issues to you but they are to me. No one ever understands how much something affects someone else. We all have our problems. There is only so much I can talk to Steve, my friends & my family about before it wears on them or gets old-because of this-sometimes I’ll keep things to myself-and deal with it on my own. I normally only blog about positive or silly stuff but sometimes I like to use my blog as away of expressing my feelings or what I’m going through. Every now & then…. When I really need to. It helps me get my thoughts out, even if they are all jumbled. So for those of you who think my life is all fine & dandy it’s not all entirely true. For the most part-yah it is, but I do have my issues. I’m just like you. :) …….I’ve never done this before but for once I think I’m going to set some goals for myself in 2010. A few New Years resolutions really….you know, to better myself, my life, my marriage ect. The outcome can only be positive right? I’m thinking this is a good idea……..

5 comments:

Care said...

Shannon... write away. Sometimes it's therapuetic to just write and get your thoughts out into the atmosphere. You're human, you're allowed to get "down in the dumps", you're allowed to miss your friends and family and you're allowed speak freely about your feelings! That's the best part about your blog. I think that setting goals is a great idea... it gives you something to plan for and in the beginning of your blog you mentioned you miss the planning of your wedding. What about planning other sort of events? Dinner parties, theme parties, happy hours...I like to fill my calendar with senseless things like that. As for making friends... i know it can be hard, just smile like you do and I promise you... you will one day wonder where all these lonely feelings came from as your phone will be ringing off the hook with people wanting to make plans with you. Most importantly... you're not alone with anything you feel. I'm right there with ya on most everything except wanting kids... NOT YET! hahaha! SMILES! (sorry for writing to much!)

Anonymous said...

Accept the good! The rest will fall into place eventually. Don't beat yourself up for feeling how you feel - it's part of life and you'll get through it. Challenge yourself and step out of your comfort zone. It's a pretty great feeling. :)

Robin said...

I totally know how you feel! I feel like most of my friends out here are my boyfriend's friends, but I have a couple of girl friends that I hang out with at work and outside of work. But it's nothing like back in VA. I really want to move back there, I miss my mom and my dogs SOOOO much. I want to be around "MY" life again!! It may be selfish, but it makes me happy!

Sara said...

Hey Shannon,

I hadn't read your blog in a while and I just checked out your post on feeling kinda poopy. I can really relate and am feeling much the same way lately. I just moved up to NYC a few weeks ago. My husband had moved up here about 9 weeks ago and I stayed in DC to finish up my job. Since I've been up here, I've had to rely on my husband for almost everything: directions, financial support since I don't have a job, etc. It's been really tough. While I was all for moving to NYC, I didn't think it would be this difficult. I spend every day looking for a job and nothing is working out (i'm getting nothing but rejections), and it can be really demoralizing. I know with time, things will get better, but I just wanted to let you know I can appreciate what you're going through. Let's keep each other posted on how things work out in our respective lives...all the best, sara (bromberg) walshe

Matthew, Eve, Noah, Noelle, and Brooke said...

I'm so sorry you've been feeling down lately, Shannon! I really hope that things will pick up for you soon - you are very brave to have moved up there and made so many friends already! I'm sure it will start to feel much more like HOME soon!!! Thinking of you sweetie!